Monday, December 9, 2013

I-95... #Forgetaboutit

They warned us! The weather was going to be bad and the traffic would be even worse. I'm starting to see a trend here. The two times we traveled the I-95 corridor between Boston and Virginia things did not go well.

After leaving South Carolina we made a short drive into Jacksonville, FL where we stored the camper for a few weeks as we made our way back to New England to spend the holidays with Family. We know a storm was coming so we left a day earlier to compensate for the extra traffic; and extra traffic we got.

I-95 is the most heavily traveled interstate in the country during the holidays. Add in a nasty winter rain storm and it is a traffic apocalypse from Washington, D.C. to Boston, MA. We drove from Jacksonville to Lillington, NC on Monday which was the possibly the best 400 miles I have driven. We then left first thing Tuesday morning to drive 750 miles to Cape Cod. What should have taken about 12 hours ended up taking just over 18 hours.

At one point we were on the New Jersey Turnpike and we moved 65 miles during a four hour period. Between the weather, holiday and rush hour traffic it was the traffic trifecta of the ages. I weaved in and out of back roads and even at one point finding myself driving right through the campus of Princeton University. At every turn we were stuck in bumper to bumper traffic not moving more than 2 or 3 miles an hour.

After a long day, 750 miles, 45 gallons of fuel and 18 hours we arrived at our final destination of Cape Cod, MA.
This was what I-95 looked like for 500 miles. This is a view going over the Tappanzee Bridge from NJ into NY.
"Life is a highway, I (don't) want to ride it all night long"
-Tom Cochrane

No comments:

Post a Comment